Wednesday, September 21, 2011


 Monday night one our way to dinner as a family for the first time
 Our first night in fresh clean PJs
 Tuesday at the Passport office in Yiwu, Zhejiang Province
 Wednesday morning bath....not so much a fan of this, but we needed to get clean
 Wednesday-free day for us
 Stacking cups are my new favorite toy
 Waffles and stacking is good
Thursday on our way to find Subway for lunch...getting sleepy


Tuesday was a VERY long day. It was also my Birthday....we met our group and went back to the Civil Affairs office and signed our paperwork...we are officially a family of three! Tatum was having a tough time drinking from a sippy cup, bottle or a was not an issue though. Then we went to get one families passport photo/application before we headed to Tatum's orphanage. We are choosing not to share those photos at this time, as it was very emotional for Todd and I to see where our sweet baby girl lived for the first 2 years of her life. It was a 2 hour car ride from the hotel, and we had to stop and do our passpot application first. We didn't get to the orphanage until 5pm and then we were home to the hotel clost to 8:30pm. We were all exhausted, especially Tatum. There was a lot of crying, and I think her belly hurt so much. No poopies on Tuesday....and did I mention we are teething? When we got back to the hotel, we got Tatum into her crib and Todd ordered room service. 2 steak dinners to celebrate my birthday in the dark while our precious baby girl got some much needed rest. There were so many tears today....she was exhausted.


This was  a free day for our family. We got up and got breakfast and we awoke to a big poopie diaper! Let me tell you it brought tears to both of our was rough and STINKY! All day the diapers were poopie, I think the banana helped! We also learned to drink from the sippy cup today, I was so happy. She needed to get water into that tiny little body. We napped for a few hours in the afternoon and did some walking in the evening. Lots of teething again....and a high fever. It started out around 102, and it was scary for us. Thankfully we have motrin and tylenol with us, so that helped.

We were woken in the middle of the night with tummy issues and more poopie diapers...she slept, but it was not as peaceful as the first few nights.


Today we woke up at 6:30am with a poopie diaper and went back to sleep for a few hours. We had to meet at 9:30am for our guide to take us to the Lake....however we found out our van could not drive us because it is a no car day in China....really our guide didn't know until today?! Anyway.....we went with the other family to Subway for lunch and then we headed back to the hotel for a nap. There are tears still today and she is not a fan of Todd still. I think the first day she was just so in shock and didn't know who she was going to. It breaks my heart to see how unhappy she is....I know with time it will get better. It has been hard with the tummy issues yesterday and all the teething. She has to feel just awful. Such a tiny little thing to be going through so much. It has been exhausting and hard, but she is worth it! The other family with us have adopted a 9 year old little girl and she is a great help with Tatum. She can make her smile....which is a blessing to see. I have had a few small smiles....but not many. She will sleep on my chest to go down for her nap, then she will want to roll over and sleep on her back on the bed. She slept in the crib all nights except last night when we woke up to the dirty diaper at 1:30am. She did sleep in our bed in between us. I think we all needed that.

I am hopeful that when she wakes up soon we have a happier baby....we are making baby steps, but she is very independent and so strong. I know she is grieving terribly....I would be too. The nannies at the orphanage loved her so much, and they made her so happy. They told us that they loved her and that they were so thankful we were adopting her....she was one of the few girls in the orphanage and I think they helped her find us because they wanted her to have a family.

Tomorrow we get her passport then we fly to Guangzhou. Wish us luck for the 2 hour flight....I know we will be THAT family with a screaming baby....but we are on the home stretch now. We are so thankful to have the other family with us. It would be very lonely in this strange but beautiful country.....

Love to all at home....we miss everyone! xoxoxo


Carrie said...

Diane, It seems that you are dealing with what everyone deals with those first few weeks with a newborn. It can be a rough time both for you and your child. The first night we were home from the hospital Taylor cried for 5 hours straight. If it wasn't for my mother being here, it might have been enough to make her an only child. Each day from here on out should get easier for you and your new family, with minor hiccups along the way. It's always hard to have a child out of sorts when you are away from the comforts of home. I still feel helpless when I'm out and Taylor is having one of her "moments." =) I wish you much love and luck as you continue your journey in China and make the long flight home where you can settle into your regular life and routine.

Debbie said...

Diane..thank you for the fab update...... I hope and pray that wee Tatum feels better soon.

Jo said...

First off, Happy Birthday! How fun to be able to celebrate it as a new family.

I'm so sorry to hear that Tatum is having such a tough time. Tummy problems and teething are certainly not a delightful match. I hope she is feeling better soon.

She will adjust, she just needs to bond and learn to trust you and Todd.